Thirty years ago Photoshop made its first appearance on the computer and is without a doubt the industry standard. The new desktop update packs in lots of new and enhanced features, definitely a lot more than last year’s version, so I thought I would highlight a few of my favourites.
Improvements that the Adobe team has added using their Sensei technology of artificial intelligence and machine learning- particularly new capabilities in the Object Selection Tool and Content-Aware-Fill are simply amazing.
Select Subject gets better edges, is faster on a Mac (mine anyway) and they have managed to reduce the size of the Sensei AI machine learning model on disk without reducing quality.
Adobe, have added three ways to identify where in your image you want it to look for source pixels as fill content.
- Auto: intelligently select source pixels by analyzing pixels near the selection
- Rectangular: Chooses pixels nearby
- Custom: gives you full control. You identify exactly which pixels to fill from
Object Selection Tool
This tool has been promoted to the top spot under the magic selections tool icon. Using Sensei AI machine learning enables you to automatically select single, multiple or parts of objects in an image; speeding up complex selections.
Better Auto Selections
The Select Subject command has been enhanced, due to Adobe Sensei – their name for the artificial intelligence that allows Photoshop to analyze an image and guess at what you want to select and from experimentation, its very good.
What else’s is new in Photoshop 2020?
- Properties Panel with repackaged top tasks into a central location
- Redesigned Present Panels (although users can revert back to Legacy settings!
- Smart Object Convert to Layers
- Enhancements to Warp Transform
- Lens Blur addition
- Adjustment layers for curves and brightness/contrast for 32-bit images
- Consistent Transform Behaviour
- Smart Object and Layer Comp Tracking